Sunday, February 9, 2014

Benjamin Colbert - Original North American Architecture


I took this picture on my phone when I last visited Mayan ruins in eastern El Salvador. It's amazing to look at this precolumbian building and look at how far we have came since then. When I visited the ruins I was struck by the engineer it must have took to construct the building. They did that in a time without calculators and computers, and it still stands over a thousand years later. Most buildings today hardly last fifty years. The most fulfilling memory I have with this building is the museum let visitors climb the stairs to the top of the temple. From the top I remember looking at the dense vegetation engulfing two other pyramids in the distance. I enjoyed being at the ruin site, and it's one of my favorite memories. I'm glad El Salvador has invested in preserving ancient architecture.  

2 comments: