Friday, February 21, 2014

Seems corny but... Simon Ott



I have to admit that, although I've seen my fair share of pictures of the St. Louis arch, I thought to myself "Big deal, why would anyone want to go see some big arch somewhere and who thought it was a good idea to build it anyway".  I had the opprotunity to go to St. Louis last year and had some time to kill so I said "What the heck... I'll go take a look".  I must say that I was impressed.  Pictures don't do the arch justice. (Mine especially)  There is an immense park built around the arch with trees, walkways, benches and ponds.  Beneath the arch there's a large lawn that hundreds of people gather in daily to picnic and do yoga and have events and etc... etc...  Until you stand underneath it you will never realize how just how tall it really is.  There is an extensive museum underneath the arch as well as rides to the top.  That's right, there's an observation deck in the top of the arch and elevators that take people up all day long.  The pictures of the constructions of the arch are facinating, once the sides were built they used special cranes that rode up the arch as it was assemled until at last the center piece was installed.  St. Louis has made good use of this architectural feature creating space and beauty for people to enjoy. 




 

1 comment: