Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Neustadt Wing - Nathan Ferraro

Neustadt Wing:


This is the Doris W. Neustadt Wing of Bizzell Memorial Library. It was constructed in in 1982 to expand the library and accommodate the study needs of thousands of students. I walk into this building nearly everyday to study and do homework. I use it as designed. I get into my homework mindset when I enter so I associate the building with hard work. What I like about the building is the space to work. That is the only compliment I have for this building. Other than that, I think this building is a complete and utter atrocity. Let me explain why. This building was literally glued to Bizzell Memorial Library, which is a U.S. National Historic Landmark. Bizzell was built in 1929 as an elegant and grand compliment to Evan's Hall. Bizzell is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful buildings in the United States.

Bizzell Library


I get physically angered when I walk through this masterpiece and cross into the Neustadt addition. That wing has no business being there. Look at how out of context it is.


Gorgeous Gothic architecture lies to the north and south of it. But for some reason they decide to add on this monstrosity. The most frustrating part is in the original write-up of the building found here, the architects had the audacity to say that the structure is "architecturally harmonious with and faithful to the style of Bizzell Memorial Library as well as Evans Hall." You can make that judgement for yourself from the picture above. In my opinion, this is absolute nonsense. It is nearly sickening. Whoever had the idea to attach this to Bizzell should be ashamed. It does not fit there, it should have never happened. Neustadt would make an attractive stand-alone structure; unfortunately, they did not do that. Another depressing thing is the original design of Bizzell called for it to be attached to Evan's Hall to create a giant square beautiful superbuilding. Sadly, this did not happen. Here is the original sketch

 

Why they did not do this instead of that terrible Neustadt wing is beyond me. The University of Oklahoma could have possessed this gorgeous mega library if they hadn't blown it in the 80s.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a paper what I will present in class this next Thursday about this addition. Good comments!

    ReplyDelete