Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Old Plantation Restaurant - Laurel Lamb





This blog post is about the Old Plantation Restaurant in Medicine Park, Oklahoma.  I did not take a picture of the entire building because the overall structure of the building isn't what interests me.  Instead, my interest lies in the cobblestones on it.  Called the "Cobblestone City," Medicine Park has many buildings that incorporate a cobblestone exterior, such as this restaurant.  I like the look of the cobblestone because it just isn't something I see in most places.  As well, since Medicine Park is a small community close to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, the cobblestone fits well with its natural surroundings. 
Beyond the cobblestones, the history of this restaurant interests me.  It opened in 1910 as a hotel.  Through the years, the building has changed from a clean, well-run hotel to a seedier dance and gambling hall, and then finally to a restaurant.  I enjoy imagining the past while in this restaurant, for as the saying goes, "If the walls could talk..." 

2 comments:

  1. Oh medicine Park is my favorite community to visit I actually designed a house to go by Lake Lawtonka

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother was thinking about getting a house located in Medicine Park not too long ago. He looked at several in the area, but there was this one house he looked at that had windows essentially from floor to ceiling. Totally appropriate for the location's view! I wouldn't mind a house by Lake Lawtonka too, they also have gorgeous views!

    ReplyDelete