Thursday, March 6, 2014

The dinosaurs in my hometown park - Whitney Apperson

I know this isn't a building but the story behind these things is actually pretty cool. I'm from a town called Mountainburg, Arkansas, population 600 and there's only about 5 non residential things in our town, a gas station, a very small grocery store, a Dairy Dream which is only open during the summer and not to be confused with Dream Queen, a post office and the City Park/Fire/Police/VA/community center building. I couldn't get a good picture of the building off line but the one thing I've always loved about this park is the almost life-size dinosaurs that adorn the playground. 
The gentleman that made and donated these to the city used to make sculptures for amusement parks and museums and after his wife died he retired and started making these for the local park, he makes them every few years and then changes them out with the old ones. I lived about a mile from his house and drove right by his yard on my way to town and his whole yard is full of them. I love the fact that he put his retired years to good use and used his gift to bring joy to other people.
Oh and the best part was is that you could crawl inside them!



1 comment: