Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lawton's City Hall - Laurel Lamb




The picture above is a side view of Lawton, Oklahoma's City Hall.  However, if you notice, it says Lawton High School over the entrance.  This is because the building used to be a high school.  It was recently restored for the new City Hall location.  I chose this building for a blog post because the dome is so eye-catching.  I don't drive by city hall every day, but I am close enough on a regular basis to see the dome.  I think it is a beautiful architectural feature for downtown Lawton.  Living here all my life, most buildings don't really catch my attention anymore, but this one does because of the dome.

The picture below is another view of the city hall.  This side of the building definitely looks newer and more modern than the previous side pictured above.  I think it interesting to compare the two sides of the building because old and new elements are both equally prevalent.  The huge floor-to-ceiling glass windows are really a nice feature for the building, I think.  Being inside the building, you get a great view of outside, as well as lots of natural sunlight. 







2 comments:

  1. that is how to treat historic buildings-make the additions different so you can see the progression of development

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never really thought about it like that! I do like that idea though. I am going to graduate school in the fall for a Historic Preservation degree, so how historic sites and structures like this are used really interest me.

    ReplyDelete