Saturday, March 1, 2014

Peggy V. Helmerich Great Reading Room - Nathan Ferraro

There is just something about this room that is hard to put into words. This room is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of a university: Grand proportions, intricately detailed ceilings, encased in knowledge (the bookshelf perimeter houses theses and dissertations of past students). This room calls for higher standards, higher focus and higher thinking. It brings out my best academic efforts. I find it amazing that this room is unanimously loved. We can all agree upon its beauty and its purpose. It makes me wonder why current architecture has wondered so far from examples like this. The architect got it right here. The only detail that I dislike about the room is that the floor is beginning to crumble. Many of the red and black tiles are pulling up from the floor or have ruptured.

1 comment: